Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The sixth Joy of Christmas
Lebkuchen. Now, I know that this looks like more cookies, and I suppose that would be an accurate observation. For me, however, lebkuchen is so much more than just a cookie. My family lived in Germany for 3 of my formative years (aged 4-7). I have hazy memories of this time, as I suppose most people do. The taste of the lebkuchen, beyond being one of the best cookies on the planet, taste -wise, also brings back to me memories of Kristkindle markt in Nurnburg, trips to the local market in Karlsruhe with my dad, proper bratwurst, brotchen and orange Fanta like you cannot get in the United States and a whole host of other childhood memories. And that is why I buy lebkuchen every year at Christmas, because that is the only time of the year that you can find it. As for the cookie itself, often time in attempt to tell English speakers what is in the package manufacturers will put on the bag or box gingerbread. Let me put the record straight: lebkuchen is not gingerbread. It is a moist, warm tasting, cake or cookie, with just the slightest hint of citrus, often covered in chocolate. I will put in a tiny plug here: I buy my lebkuchen at Cost Plus World Market. It can be very hard to find and I am very, very lucky to have a place that is close that has a decent selection.

My you find joy in this season.

Holly

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home