Thursday, December 07, 2006

Teaching Thursday
Teaching Knitting:
I have taught knitting classes for about 5 years. I like it because it is completely different than teaching school. The people in the classes are adults and generally want to be there, sometimes there are people who are humoring the friends who dragged them along, but usually everyone is eager to learn. The odd thing about teaching adults is frequently I am teaching women who are old enough to be my mother and that is a bit intimidating. The class I teach most often is beginning knitting. It is freqently funny when first time knitters walk into the class. There are double takes, stares and the question "Are you the teacher?" Appearently people expect an eighty-two year old instead of a thirty-two year old. But they quickly get over it and we move on in style. My classes are very workshop based, essentially what I do is introduce the project, get everyone started, then move from person to person, helping them and moving them along as each person is ready. I find the students respond to this because they are not pressured to keep up with everyone else, and can work at their own pace, which reduces stress.

I have see this question posed in several venues, so I thought I would endeavor to answer it. "How do you get started teaching knitting classes?"
There are several ways.
8 Check out your local community education department. Ours is assoicated with the public schools. Almost all of the districts around here have them. This is how I got started.
8 Go hang out at your local yarn store. Many have drop in knitting nights. Make friends, influence people, heck, just come right out and ask if they are looking for a teacher.
8 Check out the big box craft stores like JoAnn's and Michaels , I have seen want ads for teachers in their stores from time to time.

So to conclude this Teaching Thursday post I have a small, but exciting, announcement: I am extending my teaching to my local yarn store, Neigborhood Knits. I will be teaching two classes this winter, I am very excited.

Holly
Technorati tags: ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home