Thursday, December 28, 2006

Book Review: Alterknits

AlterKNITS, Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises by Leigh Radford published by STC Craft/A Melanie Falick Book, 2005.

1. Altar: an elevated place or structure, on which sacrifices are offered or at which religious rites are performed
2. Alter: to make different in some particular; modify, to become different in some respect.
(The American College Dictionary)

When I first picked up this books I was thinking of definition #1 something along the lines of knitting as religion/philosophy so you can imagine my delight and surprise when I found this book was all about definition #2. This book contains not only innovative patterns from sweaters to cushions, from hats to door screens (yep, I said door screens). Not only are her patterns innovative but she uses every kind of material possible, not only yarn, but also nylon cord, crepe paper, wire, cut up t-shirts, ribbon and recycled sweaters. With easy to read patterns and schematics this book is fantastic. But wait there's more as if a book full of great patterns weren't enough Leigh went one step further with inspiring activities to stimulate creativity and inspire the reader to reach beyond themselves in their craft. I love this book. It is most definitely going into my collection of knitting books.
Holly

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home